第一节 单项选择(共15 小题，每小题1分，满分15分)
1. the city of qingdao is known ____ its beautiful seaside.
a. as b. for c. since d. because
2. it smells so bad that you have to ____ until you come out.
a. lose your breath b. hold your breath
c. hold on d. hold out
3. bad luck! i missed the last bus. ____, i had to walk home.
a. in my opinion b. after all
c. above all d. in other words
4. many buildings ______ on both sides of the street the next year.
a. will build b. were built c. are to be built d. will be built
5. the concert last week was ____ that his concert is expected to run for the next two years.
a. such success b. such a success
c. so a success d. such successful
6. when she saw the ______ tiger, her face turned pale ______.
a. frightening; with fear b. frightened; with fear
c. frightening; at fear d. frightened; at fear
7. he is ____ to come here tomorrow if he can finish his work on time.
a. possible b. probable c. likely d. alik e
8. he didn’t catch the first train. that’s ____ he didn’t attend the meeting.
a. because b. how c. why d. when
9. first of all, please _____ me to introduce myself to you.
a. make b. agree c. let d. al low
10.check your homework to avoid ______ mistakes again.
a. make b. making c.to make d. made
11. the teacher raised his voice ____ all the students could hear him clearly.
a. in case b. so that
c. even though d. so as to
12.--did you tell jane that the college had allowed her to work on a part-time work and study program this term?
--oh, no, i forget. i ___ her now.
a. will call b. will be calling
c. call d. am to call
13. the ____ on his face told me that he was angry.
a. impression b. sight c. appearance d. expression
14. kathy ____ a lot of spanish by playing with the native boys and girls.
a. picked up b. took up
c. make up d. turned up
15 .if you have no idea about how to pronounce the word correctly, you may____ the dictionary.
a. refer to b. deal with c. bring about d. look up
mrs. jones was over eighty, but she still drove her old car like a woman half her age. she loved driving very fast, and was proud of the fact 16 she had never, in her thirty-five years of driving, been punished 17 a d riving offence (犯规，犯法). then one day she nearly 18 her record. a police car 19 her, and the policemen in it saw her 20 a red light without stopping. of course, she was stopped. it seemed 21 that she would be punished. 22 mrs. jones came up to the judge, he looked at her seriously and said that she was 23 old to drive a car, and that the 24 why she had not stopped at the red 25 was most probably that her eyes had become weak 26 old age, so that she had simply not seen it. when the judge had finished what he was 27 , mrs. jones opened the big handbag she was 28 and took out her sewing. without saying a word, she 29 a needle with a very small eye, and threaded it at her first attempt. when she had 30 done this, she took the thread out of the needle again and handed both the needle and the thread to the judge, saying, “now it is your turn. i suppose you drive a car, and that you are quite sure about your own eyesight.”
the judge took the needle and tried to thread it. after half a dozen tries, he had still not succeeded. the case (案例) against mrs. jones was dismissed, and her record remained unbroken.
16. a. which b. when c. that d. this
17. a. abo ut b. on c. to d. for
18. a. kept b. won c. missed d. lost
19. a. watched b. after c. followed d. ran after
20. a. pass b. go c. run d. rush
21. a. sure b. indeed c. certain d. perhaps
22. a. before b. while c. until d. when
23. a. so b. very c. too d. quite
24. a. cause b. reason c. matter d. trouble
25. a. light b. lamp c. sign d. one
26. a. with b. because c. for d. of
27. a. speaking b. saying c. talking d. telling
28. a. holding b. getting c. carrying d. bringing
29. a. took b. brought c. picked d. chose
30. a. almost b. hardly c. successfully d. successful
jack is a twenty-year-old young man. two years ago, when he finished middle school, he found work in a shop. usually he works until ten o'clock in the evening. he is very tired when he gets home. after a quick supper he goes to bed and soon falls asleep. his grandma who lives downstairs is satisfied with (满意) him.
one day, on his way home, he met mary. they were both happy. he asked the girl to his house, she agreed happily. he bought some fruit and drinks for her. and they talked about their school, teachers, classmates and their future (未来). they talked for a long time.
“have a look at your watch, please,” said the girl. “what time is it now?”
“sorry, something is wrong with my watch,” said jack. “where's yours?”
“i left it at home.”
jack thought for a moment and found a way. he began to stamp his foot on the floor, “bang! bang! bang!”
the sound woke his grandma up. the old woman shouted downstairs, “it's twelve o'clock in the night, jack. why are you still jumping upstairs?”
31. jack was ________ when he finished middle school
a. sixteen b. eighteen c. twenty d. fifteen
32. the old woman is satisfied with jack because ________.
a. he's her grandson b. he's clever c. he can keep quiet d. h e gets home on time
33. from the story, we can know that mary is jack's ________.
a. classmate b. colleague (同事) c. aunt d. wife
34. the word “stamp” in the story means ______ in chinese.
a. 盖印 b. 跺 c. 贴邮票 d. 承认
35. jack stamped his foot on the floor in order (为了) ________.
a. to wake his grandma up b. to make his grandma angry
c. that his grandma was going to tell him the time
d. that his grandma was going to buy him a watch
mr. and mrs. turner live outside a small town. they have a big farm and they are always busy working on it. their son, peter, studied at a middle school. the young man studied hard and did well in his lessons. it made them happy.
last month peter finis hed middle school and passed the entrance examination (升学考试). mrs. turner was very happy and told the farmers about it.
yesterday morning the woman went to the town to buy something for her son. on the bus she told one of her friends how clever and able her son was. she spoke very loudly. all the people in the bus began to listen to her.
“which university (大学) will your son study in?” a woman next to her asked.
“in the most famous university in our country!” mrs. turner said happily.
“the most famous university?”
“oxford university (牛津).”
most of the passengers (乘客) looked at her carefully. some of them said to her, “congratulations!”
a woman said, “i'm sure he'll know fred smith.”
“who's fred smith?”
“he's my son.”
“does he study in the university, too?”
“no, ”said the woman. “he is one of the professors.”
36. the story happened in ________.
a. america b. france c. germany d. england
37. mr. and mrs. turner were happy because ________.
a. their son did well in his lessons
b. they have a big farm
c. they have a good harvest
d. their son studied at a middle school
38. mrs. turner wanted everyone to know ________.
a. her son finished middle school
b. her son was handsome
c. her son was going to study in a university
d. her son was very friendly to others
39. mrs. turner spoke so loudl y in the bus that __________.
a. her friend could hear her
b. all the people could hear her
c. she hoped to make all the people happy
d. she hoped they would say congratulations to her
40. which of the following is true? __________.
a. the woman wasn't interested in mrs. turner's words
b. mrs. turner knew nothing about the famous university
c. the woman wanted to stop mrs. turner from showing off (炫耀)
d. the woman next to mrs. turner wanted to show off her son, too
“cool” is a word with many meanings. its old meaning is used to express a temperature that is a little bit cold. as the world has changed, the word has had many different meanings.
“cool” can be used to express feelings of interest in almost anything. when you see a famous car in the street, maybe you will say “it's cool.”you may think, “he's so cool,” when you see your favourite footballer.
we all maximize (扩大) the meaning of “cool”. you can use it inste ad of many words such as “new” or “surprising”. here's an interesting story we can use to show the way the w ord is used. a teacher asked her students to write about the waterfall (瀑布) they had visited. on one student's paper was just the one sentence, “it's so cool”. maybe he thought it was the best way to show what he saw and felt.
but the story also shows a scarcity (缺乏) of words. without “cool”, some people have no words to show the same meaning. so it is quite important to keep some credibility (可信性). can you think of many other words that make your life as colourful as the word “cool”? i can. and i think they are also very cool.
41. we know that the word “cool” has ________.
a. only one meaning b. no meanings
c. many different meanings d. the same meaning
42. in the passage, the word “express” means“________”.
a. see b. show c. know d. feel
43. if you are ________ something, you may say, “it's cool.”
a. interested in b. angry about
c. afraid of d. unhappy with
44. the writer takes an example to show he is _________ the way the word is used.
a. pleased with b. strange to
c. worried about d. careful with
45. in the passage, the writer suggests (暗示) that the word “cool”_________.
a. can be used instead of many words
b. usually means something interesting
c. can make your life colourful
d. may not be as cool as it seems
nick petrels is a doctor in montreal. he works 60 hours a week. he takes care of 159 patients a week in the hospital and at his office. he's been a doctor for ten years.
dr. petrels gives his patients good medical advice. but he doesn't just tell his patients what to do. he also sings to them on television! dr. petrels has his own tv show. the show is in italian, english and french. the doctor starts the show with a song and then gives medical advice. he explains a medical problem or disease in simple language. after that, he sings another song.
dr. petrels produces and performs in his own show every week. the program is very popular with his patients and with people who enjoy his singing. his dream is to perform(表演) in las vegas. his favorite songs are love songs, and he has a compact disk of love songs that he wrote. dr. petrels says, "i always loved to sing. all my problems are gone when i sing." but when dr. petrels was young, his father didn't want him to be a singer, so he went to medical school.
some people tell dr. petrels he can help people more as a doctor. but dr. petrels says he helps people when he sings, too. "i like to make people smile. sometimes it's difficult to make a sick person smile. medicine and entertainment(娱乐) both try to do the same thing. they try to make people feel good."
46. dr. petrels works 60 hours a week, because he _______.
a. gives his patients medical advice
b. takes care of 159 patients a week
c. sings on television
d. has his own tv show
47. dr. petrels _______, so he is called a singing doctor.
a. a. has been a doctor for ten years
b. always loved to sing
c. is popular with his patients
d. also sings to his patients on tv
48. in his tv show, dr. petrel _______.
a. sings and gives medical advice
b. sings about different diseases
c. starts to explain diseases with a song
d. sings love songs he wrote
49. dr. petrels' show is popular _______.
a. in las vegas. b. at medical school
c. with people who like his singing d. with patients in montreal
50. dr. petrels says he likes to _______.
a. help people sing b. make people feel better
c. do the same thing d. make difficult people smile
51. information n. ________ 56. 为了 ______________
52. interview v. ________ 57. 期待，盼望 _____________
53. vacation n. _______ 58. 结果 ______________
54. unhealthy adj. __________ 59. 取得进步 _______________
55. danger n. __________ 60. 参加 _____________
以smoking is harmful为题，写一篇60-80词的短文，分析现状、原因，列举吸烟的害处，劝告人不要吸烟，要戒烟等。 参考词汇：对……有害处do harm to/be harmful to戒烟stop smoking/give up smoking
smoking is harmful